Thursday, June 28, 2018

Too fast for me

This is a photo from several years ago when I first sighted a Red-Shouldered Ctenucha Moth and had no idea what it was.  When I first saw them, they were quite skittish so I couldn't get a decent photo.  The shimmering black wings had me thinking it was a female wasp of the type that drills holes in fallen cedar into which it lays its eggs.  Finally, I got one so engrossed in feeding on this Pennyroyal that it let me approach to within a few feet and get a clear photo.  Soon, I found out what it was and announced it on this blog.  That got the attention of several groups who watch for this moth and keep track of sightings.  Today, I saw one for the first time in several years, and it was on a daisy on the FRC campus, but I didn't have my camera and I was too slow getting out my phone.  It flew away.

Also today, I ws talking with a friend in my driveway when a pair of Western Tanagers flew by.  They emerged from the forest to my right, zipped over the pavement in our cul-de-sac, and disappeared into the forest to my left, all in less than a second.  Needless to say, no photo.  One of these days I'm going to stumble across a male tanager perched somewhere and get a close-up with the 1,000 mm lens I dream about.  Actually, that's not going to happen, so I'll just enjoy the memory, and maybe just get lucky.  When I peruse my old blog posts, I must admit I have often been lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment