Sunday, June 17, 2018

Images under a grey sky

After a slow spring of fickle weather, lots of college essays to grade, and intermittent blogging, June is busting out all over.  My favorite nature photography areas are waking up and I'm taking lots of impromptu field trips and occasional planned ones.  I've got a backlog of photos from the Oakland Camp area, Butterfly Valley Botanical Area, and various spots in the Feather River Canyon, especially by the North Fork a few miles north of Caribou.  Every time I sit down to organize these photos and narratives for the blog, I am reminded of the pathetically slow Internet speed at home.  So, today, as a Father's Day gift, my wife and I drove up to inspect the Mills Creek Trail by Buck's Lake.
Again, procrastinating on organizing the photos I already have stored.  So, here are three randomly chosen ones to keep the Spring Fever alive.  Click on each one for a closer view.  The Swallowtail Butterfly (above) feeding n Showy Milkweed was spotted along the western section of Chandler Road by my old friend Mike Reagan's former house.  I was looking for the Red Milkweed Beetle, but it hasn't shown up yet.  I was quite satisfied with this close view of a butterfly's tongue.
On our morning hike along the Mills Creek Trail, we spotted this fungus which at first was mistaken for dog poop.  We decided to call it Dog Poop fungus.  I had no idea what it was, but my Internet research back home revealed there is actually a Dog Turd fungus, and this might be it.
I think this last one is from last Wednesday's hike along the Jackson Creek Trail.  One of my favorite bugs, the Common Checkered Clerid beetle. feeding on a daisy, made the hike worth while even though we forgot to bring water.  There's more to posted from that hike.  If you scroll back you'll see my favorite wildflower discovery from that trip, the Hot Rock Penstemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment