Tuesday, June 26, 2018

The Passing of Seasons

 It has been exciting for me to see the emergence of Daisies and Milkweeds of various species and the great variety of bugs they attract.  But as I walk in search of photo opportunities, I can't help but notice the passing of other seasons, such as the the time wild orchids, such as the Mountain Lady's Slippers (above and below) reach their peak.  A few days ago I photographed these two as their blooms faded.  Still attractive to me.  They will be back next May.
 Another wild orchid, the Spotted Coral Root (below) tends to stay in bloom a bit longer.  In fact they are yet to bloom at some of the shadier forests at higher altitudes. In this photo, the yellow stalk is one that is still in bloom, and the brown one to the right is what remains of last year's specimen, probably connected below the surface.
 The insects have their seasons as well.  The bug resting (is it alive?) on a Chicory Blossom (below) appears to be upside-down.  I found it an intriguing subject, but didn't have time to stay around and investigate.  The bug might have had its last meal, laid eggs, or mated - some kind of final act - then keeled over (nautical term - hmmm).  The Chicory will last for many more weeks and host many other visitors.
 Likewise, this attractive butterfly.  It might have been in the act of laying eggs before taking its last breath.  It fluttered a bit when I touched it, but remained upside-down. I don't think this batch of eggs will survive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment