Wednesday, July 4, 2012

More 4th of July Wonders







Every time I try to add to my collection of wildflower photos I get taken in by the bugs.  It's happened again here.  I begin with the promised photo of Mullein.  Then a brilliant red Snowy Thistle, the Douglas's Spiraea.  These are all blooming in the fields and forests lining Spanish Creek.  But while coming in close to Narrow-leaf Milkweed, looking for bugs, I found this most interesting array of insect eggs, or at least what I took to be insect eggs (4th photo from top).  I'll be researching these as soon as I get a chance, but if anyone out there recognizes them, please post it as a comment.  Some of the these milkweeds had great gatherings of bright yellow aphids, some of which had wings.  Click on the photo to get a close-up of these intriguing gatherings.  Note that I don't call them infestations, like the rose gardener would.
Last, it was especially fun to spot some pine rounds, used as seats around a campfire ring, where I thought Jerusalem Crickets might be hiding.  I scored on the first one I tipped over (last photo), then I gently replaced it so I can show my fellow hikers tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, I've been having fun catching up on some of your older posts. I'm no entomologist, but if you're still wondering, I believe those are mayfly eggs in the fourth picture.
    Cheers,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete