Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two New Ones This Afternoon!


After my long essay this morning, I went out for a drive along Chandler Road and the road into Oakland Feather River Camp. Nice and sunny and warm, and there were lots more buttercups than the other day. Around camp itself I found two new (for this season) tiny beauties. The top photo is of Blue-eyed Mary, Collinsia parviflora, a member of the figwort family, Scrophulariaceae. That's one I love to pronounce. It just rolls off the tongue. The word originates with something to do with pigs (Sus scrofa) but I don't want to spoil the image. These are one of the earliest spring wildflowers, but they are tiny and difficult to spot. Maybe 1/4" across.
The second photo is also of a tiny flower, maybe 1/8" in diameter. I found these in my dirt driveway last summer but was never able to find them in any field guide. I suspect they're a type of Gilia, but I'm not sure. Any botanists out there are welcome to let me know. Meanwhile, I'll consult my old Jepson.
Later I'll post some photos of baby trees that got my attention on the same excursion.

No comments:

Post a Comment