Sunday, August 30, 2015

I Love Water and Hate Noise

 The drought we're experiencing has given me a greater appreciation for water in all forms.  We had a short spell of light rain yesterday, but it seems that more drought lies ahead.  So, this morning I greatly appreciated the small patches of dew I found on some leaves in a neighborhood flower garden.  And, every time I looked up at the clouds I imagined rain. 
 Then my attention turned toward red and white flowers.  Both of these colors in flowers tend to overwhelm the sensors of digital cameras.  There are adjustments that can be made, but reds and whites are still a challenge.  The "graininess" that results in the prints or in projected images is called "noise."  I disliked noise in the auditory sense from a very early age.  I was the weird kid who preferred Benny Goodman and Hoagy Carmichael to Elvis and Chubby Checker.  So, today I was hoping I could get some decent photos of the red and white flowers with a minimum of noise.  The above photo is a cluster of roses near the Veteran's Memorial in Dame Shirley Park.
 I am not entirely satisfied with the roses, but the Hollyhocks, above and below, came out better.  Click on any of these images to see more detail.
 I am particularly pleased with the white Morning Glories.  I can actually see some detail in the petals instead of just white blobs.

My one photographic goal tomorrow is to capture Skippers on the Rabbitbrush by the FRC library.  They've been gathering there every afternoon, but summer is nearly over.  I love capturing shots of them with their "tongues" inserted deeply into the flowers. 

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! Nothing like a new camera to get the creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete