Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Symptoms of Fall

 It's been such a hot, dry summer, that I'm hearing more often people looking forward to fall.  I'm included.  When we look for something, we tend to see it.  The Dogwood (above) won't undergo major color change for another couple of months, but when one or two leaves turn bright red ahead of time, it tends to stir anticipation.
 I've been looking at tiny, immature acorns all summer, but it seems like just during the past couple of weeks, lots of them have become full size and look like they're ready to give birth to new trees.  I now the squirrels are already busy in my neighborhood.
 Toward middle to late summer, the ponds at the college hatchery tend to get pretty clogged with filamentous algae, and probably some cyanobacteria as well.  That tends to be good for the non-native Bullfrogs, but not so good for the trout.  I love to photograph frogs and to watch them catch dragonflies, so I was a bit disappointed this morning when I saw hatchery workers dragging the algae out of the ponds.  Good for the trout though.
The White Fir, being an evergreen, is not necessarily a sign of Fall.  But I am in the midst of splitting my winter supply of firewood, and the young firs near my woodpile are an endless source of fascination for me.  When I drive Plumas County roads, I tend to take the pines and firs for granted.  But, the close-up views from my woodpile cause me to appreciate the symmetry of the attachment of needles to branchlets, and branchlets to branches.  Then at each node on the trunk there are from four to seven branches shooting horizontally like radii of a circle.  I find myself staring at the White Firs every time I take a break.  My mind wanders back to my youth when school began after Labor Day and August was still summer.  When I worked in the wheat country of eastern Colorado, it was common for the opening day of school to be postponed for weeks so the high school students could help with the harvest.  I still can't get used to California where Fall Semester begins in mid-August.
And, of course, every bug and flowering plant has its own idea of when summer ends and fall begins.
The whole concept of seasons is just a human construct, of course, and our story books and social conditioning favor the northern European paradigm.  But every region of the country, not to mention country of the world, has its own cycles of climate patterns.  Between now and, say Thanksgiving, there will be many traditional markers of the change of seasons.  But every since the invention of the light bulb, it seems people pay less and less attention to the sky and to the growth cycles of native plants and animals.  I remember when a few years ago I lived by Lake Tahoe and fall was a kind of holding pattern between summer and winter, the two seasons that brought in lots of money from tourists.  Fall, as such, didn't seem to be appreciated.  I confess, I grew to like fall best because of the lack of tourists!

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved Fall as for me, it feels like anticipation and preparation for the slower, more contemplative season of winter. I appreciate that the broadleaf trees, which are generally overlooked in favor of showy flowers or shrubs, suddenly burst forth with the colors of fire: gold, red, and orange. Nature, being the perfect artist, uses evergreens as a backdrop for this fiery show - green being the complementary color to red. Meanwhile, in place of flowers, all sorts of interesting fungi begin to burst through the soil, and we are treated to the sound of birds, squirrels, deer, and the crunching of leaves underfoot as they fall from the lofty branches above. The sight of my breath in the cool air or the steam rising from the lake in the morning give me pause.

    My father always says, "Anticipation is the champagne of emotion." This summer has been challenging for me, but I am trying to find myself in the rhythms of nature. As anxious as I am to move into Fall, I still have lessons to learn from Summer. And so I count the days until the Autumnal Equinox, while trying to absorb and experience as much as I can in the preceding days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a feeling similar to what you express in your first sentence, anticipation of a slower pace, an opportunity for a more contemplative period. Funny how the people who get passionate about winter sports can have the opposite cycle. I've known a few who ski their brains out around Tahoe during our winter then go to Chile for their winter and bemoan the two "seasons" between winters. By the time what we call civilization appeared, say 15,000 or so years ago, people had already spread around the Earth and adapted to different cycles - Europe, Asia, the tropics, Australia, all different, no way to call any one of them more natural than another. I guess the best thing to do is become intimate with the particular place you find yourself.

    ReplyDelete