Thursday, July 25, 2013

Living Up To Its Name

 The Pacific Ambush Bugs began emerging in my neighborhood over a week ago.  Today, they seem to be fully engaged in ambushing.  In a period of five minutes I found one in Boyle Ravine ambushing a butterfly, then, in my front yard, another one ambushing a bee.  As with the Crab Spiders, the first clue is a butterfly or other large insect that does not fly away as I approach.  Then, if it is not only still but upside down, there is probably a predator underneath sucking away at the bodily fluids of its prey.  In this case, the Ambush Bug was not visible when I approached, but the butterfly way obviously dead.  I pushed it aside a bit for the photograph and that didn't phase the Ambush Bug a bit.
 The bulky front pair of legs can firmly grasp prey much larger than its possessor.  I've seen the same bug occupy a flower for a couple of weeks, always waiting for a potential meal to land within its grasp.  Very efficient!
 This photo of the one in my yard eating a bee clearly shows the bulky front legs.  The bee was still struggling a bit, but had no chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment