Friday, July 19, 2013

Random Images on a Hot Friday

 It was so hot and dry on the trail this morning that I was too lazy to take out my water bottle for a drink, and almost too lazy to use my camera.  I did manage to get a few interesting images, though.  The top photo is of Finger Galls on a leaf of Choke Cherry. These galls are the plant's reaction to the laying of eggs by a tiny mite.  The reaction creates a "home" in which the mites develop.  Many other galls are reactions to various flies, wasps, and other invertebrates.

The next photo is of a very exotic-looking caterpillar.  My son Greg captured this image today somewhere in Quincy.  I haven't yet identified the species of moth or butterfly that made it.
 We found a loaded Gooseberry bush along the Tollgate Creek trail.  I hope they'll survive until ripe. Some of the bushes that bear berries are so dry that they're either not producing berries, or the berries are very seedy and lack the usual amount of edible flesh.  I've found this year's Thimbleberries to be very bright red and attractive, but so full of seeds they aren't worth eating.
 We came across a patch of Sierra Mint where Tollgate Creek crosses the trail.  Nearly every plant in this group had one or more Bumblebees resting on it.  They were practically motionless and did not frighten easily.  I'm not sure if it was still too cool for their usual activity or if they were mesmerized by the pollen of the mint.
 My usual spot for pointing out Yerba Santa is by Spanish Creek on a path between Oakland Camp and Gilson Creek.  They are now all wilted and very dry.  On the railroad tracks 100 feet above this path there was a group of Yerba Santa that looked as fresh and shiny as if it were spring and they were still blooming.  To my eyes, this was an even harsher environment than the first one and I can't account for the healthier-looking plants.  Maybe a mystery person has been watering them.
 The Snowy Thistle are blooming along the railroad track and looking bright and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment