Wednesday, June 29, 2011

More Discoveries at Camp




I hiked with three wonderful families yesterday and discovered some new (to me) things. I told them that I'd been hiking daily for about a month now and have discovered a new plant or animal almost every day. Yesterday, I discovered three!
The beetles in the top photo are about half the size of the more common ladybugs and were clustered on willow branches by Tollgate Creek. I haven't identified them yet. The middle photo is of Clustered Broom-rape, a saprophyte. It took me a while to find this one in my field guide. I believe the bottom photo is a type of gentian. Will investigate further. An elegant flower growing on a bluff overlooking the railroad track at Oakland Camp - known by our visitors as a cell phone hot spot. More wonders of nature on this chip. Will try to post them this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment