Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Great Hostess






The showy milkweed, Asclepias speciosa, isn't blooming yet at any of my favorite milkweed spots, but the plants are from one to two feet tall and already hosting a good variety of insects, spiders, and other invertebrates. Here's a small sampling from a spot on Lee Road. Two kinds of spiders, a ladybug, a slug, and a larva of some kind. Can't wait for the appearance of the Red Milkweed Beetle, Tetraopes basalis, that I first found at this spot three years ago and have photographed often since. My photos of this one are in my exhibit at the Plumas County Museum through the rest of June.
It is still possible to sign up for my Adventures in Nature Journaling through FRC. Sign up at the Feather River Fitness Center in Quincy. First session meets at the college parking lot this Saturday at 9:00 a.m. E.mail me with questions at blackoaknaturalist@att.net

No comments:

Post a Comment