Monday, May 9, 2011

An Exotic Little Spot




Last summer I spotted this escaped ornamental plant I still haven't identified. I stopped to photograph it then and ended up getting some close-ups of Yellow-Jackets. Last Friday, I spotted this interesting plant again among the wild grasses and other weeds at the edge of Lee Road. I stopped to see what I could see. It was chilly and windy, so I didn't expect to see any insects. My first shot shows about a square yard of these plants, some flowering and some already gone to seed. Then I zoomed in for a closer view of just one plant. The wind died down and within seconds a Hover Fly arrived. I tried several shots as it buzzed around from flower to flower, and I ended up getting the bottom photo which I love. Click on any of these for closer views. This was one of those times I wished I was shooting video. If anyone recognizes the plant, please let me know what it is. I don't have any books on ornamentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment