Friday, July 20, 2018

Pine Borer with no Pine

 In this morning's political news, someone's take on the current administration in Washington used a metaphor "leading us into a desert with no water at the end."  Somehow, my mid-day encounter with the above (and below) beetle reinforced that image.  I was waiting for someone at the Courthouse Annex when it got too hot to sit in my truck, so I covered my steering wheel, left the windows open, and started walking around on the surrounding lawn.  Lo and behold, one of my favorite beetles, the Pine Borer, came along.  The grass probably provided a modicum of cooling, but there were no pine trees nearby. 
 The beetle came to a small pit, maybe eight inches wide, sort of like a crater of just sand.  Must have been another 15 - 20 degrees hotter in there.  It didn't stay long.
Quickly heading back out of the sand pit, it may or may not have survived.  I had appointments, so decided to let nature takes its course.  As for the desert without water at the end, I don't think we can afford to wait around for "nature to take its course."  Nature is losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment