Sunday, July 8, 2018

Like the toy in CrackerJacks, only better

 While wandering through the milkweeds last Friday, I was not seeing much insect life on top of the flower clusters.  I was hoping to find the Red Milkweed Beetle, and eventually did find just one. See earlier posts.  So, hoping to come up with something of interest, I took to tipping each flower cluster over to see if there was anything going on in the shade.  Voila!  A pair of Small Milkweed Bugs, Lygaeus kalmii, mating.  The above photo is more or less the view I head when my eyes were about two feet away.  I zoomed in on my computer and got the photo below.  A little fuzzy.  In a situation like this, my iPhone doesn't know quite where to focus, and I can't quite see well enough to control it.  Pretty neat bugs, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment