Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Looking Forward to August

 In mid-July, as I wander the roadsides and trails looking for plants and animals to photograph, and try not to faint from the heat, I am mostly seeing the flowers that are going to seed and drying up, and fewer bugs than i saw a month ago.  However, as I spent some time reviewing and deleting or editing old photos from my archive, I am reminded that there's a kind of new season in late August and early September for someone with my particular photo interests. In a field full of Chicory with swarms of flies and bees all around, any one plant might seem like a mundane subject.  But, to zoom in close and watch for a while, the wonderful architecture of any insect or flower is amazing.  In my archive, I've got dozens of photos that are variations on the one above, mostly taken at roadsides around Quincy.  I'm only saving the best so my hard drive will have room for new ones.
 The drama of an Assasin Bug eating an ant (above) is something I've seen much more often on Tanzy in August, but this one happens to be taking place on a daisy.  Click on any of these three photos for more detail.
The katydid is a reliable visitor to my firewood pile.  One of the disappointing results of having stacked all my firewood by the end of June is that I won't be uncovering the various bugs, salamanders, and lizards that have hidden as long as they could under my rounds of firewood, which I normally don't finish splitting and stacking until October.  I'll have to look elsewhere to photograph these creatures this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment