Thursday, July 5, 2018

Finally! Hundreds of milkweeds later.

 There's a little roadside bluff overlooking Thompson Valley where the east end of Chandler Road meets Highway 70.  I figured the weed eaters are not likely to have done their work except on the level portion maybe 6 feet from the edge of the pavement.  There are hundreds of Showy Milkweed still standing.  I figured if there's still a chance of photographing the Red Milkweed Beetle this season, this would be the place.  I patiently looked over every plant for nearly a half hour. 
 As you can see, there are three tiny seed pods.  Most of the milkweeds on this bluff are past their prime as far as showy flowers and wonderful fragrance are concerned.
 Then I spotted a shiny blue something from around 20 feet away on a cluster of flowers that still looked pretty fresh.  I thought it must be a metallic candy wrapper.  As I got closer, I realized it was a beetle, so I came in closer for the above shot.  I then repeated my sequence of checking each plant, this time tipping leave and flower clusters to see if any Milkweed Beetles might be hiding underneath.
 It was exciting to find this rather large Crane Fly, but still no Milkweed Beetles.  I decided to head down Chandler Road to a place not far from the Taylor Creek crossing where there is usually an impressive stand of Showy Milkweeds by the edge of the road.  With my kuck, I thought they might already have been cut down to provide better visibility for the thousands of out-of-town guests arriving for the High Sierra music festival.  But there they were!  I parked and started checking the plants, one by one, for the presence of beetles.
 I had almost given up when I spotted ONE on a milkweed that was still blooming.  For old times' sake, I decided to play with it for a while, take some photos of her in my hand, using y wedding ring for scale ...
 and trying to get a good view of the head so viewers could see how the antennae sort of split the eyes, giving the appearance of four - thus the name Tetraopes.
 Finally, I placed her back on the flower cluster, no worse for the wear, and hoped she leaves many eggs behind for next year.
 There are more photos coming on other topics from this morning's trip, but I am particularly pleased with this last one taken by the last bridge on the way into Oakland Camp.  A Western Swallowtail butterfly on Pennyroyal.  Click on it, or on any of the above, for closer views.

No comments:

Post a Comment