Sunday, September 13, 2015

What meets the (discerning) eye

 The Ambush Bugs were out in force today when I visited Dellinger's Pond.  They are hard to spot when they are hiding on yellow backgrounds like the Tansy.  These Tansy "buttons" are around 1/4" in diameter.  When I first spotted them, I could not tell with the "naked" eye that this was a mating pair.
 After taking a few shots and hoping some would be precisely focused, I twisted the stem to get a
 different angle, but I wasn't convinced I had a pair until I enlarged the photo on my screen.  I suppose I could have disturbed the bugs in order to see what was going on, I didn't want them to waste their energy adjusting to my intrusion.
Very close by were a couple of blooming Sweet Peas and I thought it would be particularly beautiful if Ambush Bugs landed on this bright pink background.  Of course they might then be ambushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment