Monday, September 7, 2015

Reviewing a good day

 This has been a very satisfying day.  Just the right blend of work and play so I could hardly tell them apart.  The above image is of California Black Oak, the namesake of this blog.  The open acorn cap reminded me of why I chose this tree for my blog name.  Today, in my wanderings, mostly looking for Oak Treehoppers, I saw various oaks hosting mosses, lichens, mistletoe, treehoppers, grasshoppers, ants, Red-shafted Flickers, Steller's Jays, and Brewer's Blackbirds.  The open acorn cap reminded me of the fallen or eaten acorn that is either starting a new tree or providing nourishment for some herbivore.  And, incidentally, that cap can be used to make one of the loudest whistles you'll ever hear.
 The fall colors at Dellinger's Pond are getting to be beautiful.  Not so many reds, blues, and pinks as in spring and summer, but the range of earth colors is amazing.  Click on this image and you'll see that the Cat-o-nine-tails are bursting with seed.
 Most of the California Thistles have gone to seed, but some are growing in just the right conditions to keep on blooming as long as possible.
 I love this image of a yellow jacket on Tansy.  Click on it for more detail.
 Another example of the range of earth colors at the pond.
The late afternoon sun accentuated the difference in color of the two sides of the willow leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment