Friday, September 11, 2015

Thoughts about thinking

 In academia, we talk about metacognition.  Even spell checkers don't recognize the word.  Maybe that's why it exists - sort of like a secret handshake.  One of my sons knows well how I wrestle with the ups and downs of trying to teach college students to think.  He finds images and statements like these two during his late night net surfing and forwards them to me.  I don't know if he thinks they'll help my teaching, or if he's just trying to tease me.  Ignorance is not "bliss."
Speaking of brains, is there hope for people who sport bumper stickers like "Keep the government out of my Medicare"?  Probably not.  I think that on my early morning walk up to my office, I will go slow and pay particular attention to the Ravens, Grey Squirrels, Oak Treehoppers, and much else that lies along the path.  That always restores my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment