Saturday, June 14, 2014

Looking for Tetraopes



I knew that the Showy Milkweed was probably blooming by now based on the buds I saw a week ago.  The first site I visited was one on the western end of Chandler Road.  Before I could get out of the car to check for the Red Milkweed Beetle, Tetraopes basalis, I spotted a Monarch Butterfly, Danaus plexippus, on a cluster of buds, perhaps 50 feet away.  I quietly switch to my telephoto lens and got out of the car.  The butterfly immediately took off, but it circled the area as if it really wanted to come back and continue dining.  Sure enough, i came back and landed on a nearby plant whose blossoms had opened.  I managed to get a few shots from about 20 feet away before it took off again.  I then continued looking over every plant in hopes of finding the Red Milkweed Beetle.  I didn't find any, but just as exciting, I found a Lynx spider, Oxyopes scalaris, on one of the milkweed plants.  At first I thought I had stumbled across a weird kind of large bug I'd never seen before.  On careful inspection, I saw that it was the Lynx Spider dining on some sort of small wasp or fly.  Later in the day I found some Red Milkweed Beetles at another site.

No comments:

Post a Comment