Sunday, December 1, 2013

So, Here's the Plan....

 Here's a project that didn't quite live up to my expectations.  Over a year ago, I gathered a couple dozen quotes by notable people that one way or another linked art and/or science to nature.  I assembled them into a little Commonplace Book and accompanied them by my original drawings.  The original pages were laid out on a 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" format (bottom item on white paper), then photo reduced and assembled the pages into a 5 1/2" x 4 1/2' book (top, greenish item).  My hand lettering was inconsistent and the photo reduction process smudged the fine lines of my original ink drawings into grey blobs.  The above photo is of the front cover.
 Here's the back cover.  When the book is fully opened, the front and back covers together make a continuous illustration of Lemmon's Wild Ginger.  Haven't decided yet whether to use the feather in the inkwell or the original quote for the back cover.  I am about to re-do the whole book.  More to this story after dinner.
There.  I've finished dinner.  Where was I?  These reference photos will be helpful as I improve the drawings on the cover.  The Wild Ginger is an evergreen, and I can always find green leaves for reference, even if under the snow.  However, the blooming season around Quincy runs from late April to early June - maybe longer in certain protected areas.  I've taken most of my photos of this ginger in Boyle Ravine or on the FRC campus.  I've decided to keep the basic cover design the same, just better drawings.  Might discard the feather in inkwell and go back to the quote.  Also, I abandoned the business name Black Oak Publishing, so the contact information will change.

Every page will be reviewed.  Some quotes might be replaced, but most will stay.  All drawings will be vastly improved or replaced.  This time the book will not be photo-reduced.  It will be 8 1/2" wide by 5 1/2" tall.  This was recommended by a friend who has great art instincts.  She also suggested it could be seen as a coloring book for adults, since all the drawings will be black line.  With that in mind, I think I'll print a few, then color one of them with watercolor pencils and water brush.  Then I'll post the colored images in this blog for those who would like to match the original.  I'll reference the book in the blog and the blog in the book.  The book will be for sale via the blog and in any bookstores within easy driving distance of my home in Quincy - that is, those that will accept it.  If it makes the New York Times best seller list....well, let's not get carried away. 
My immediate goal to is post a page per day, as a motivational progress report, and have it ready for assembly before the end of winter break, say around January 10.
The idea for this project was encouraged by several friends, and what finally got me going was a cute little book I bought last year called How to Blog a Book by Nina Amir.  This is ostensibly a "how to" book, but for me it served more as an "inspirational."

2 comments:

  1. Here are a couple quotes I've always liked (being an artist and all): "Nature is the art of God" - Dante and "Keep your love of nature, for that is the true way to understand art more and more" - Vincent van Gogh.

    Hope to see the finished product!

    - Paul Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxfield Parrish: painting entitled -"Only God Can Make A Tree" -

    ReplyDelete