Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Winter Drive, Part 2

 Almost a week has passed since I took this drive, so I'm glad I have the photos to preserve the memories.   I remember when I used to commute between Quincy and Greenville a few times a week, and I'd drive by these sights, sometimes noticing and sometimes not.  Now that I'm not driving this route by necessity, it seems like sacrilege to pass by certain sights without stopping.  This second series of shots from the drive feature water.  Water performs such magic.  Above is a scene quite familiar to county residents, lately known as Dog Rock.  It's one of those places that has borne many names over time, some politically incorrect and some not.  The water flowing in and around the rock, dissolving some of it and redepositing it in patterns, reminds me of trips to Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, and of Carlsbad Caverns.  Dog Rock is sort of like an inside-out cave. 
 Viewed closer it resembles our family dog, a Labradoodle.  The icicles enhance the bearded effect.
 A little further north, on a curve where it's dangerous to stop, I spied a corrugated drain pipe with a blossom of ice protruding from it.  No more water flowing.  I wondered if any was backed up in the pipe, or if the creek bed was bone dry.  This type of scene makes me want to do time-lapse video.  By the way, I parked safely 100 yards away and carefully walked to the site without making any travelers nervous.
 Yet another half mile north was a drain pipe at a turnout where I've taken many photos over the past few years.  The water was still flowing through this one.  A very pretty sight.
I call this last one "Tracking Myself."  There are many ways to have fun in the snow.  I didn't see any animal tracks in the area so I decided to make some.
"A Winter Drive, Part 3" will focus on the vegetation along this route, both dormant and dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment