Sunday, June 3, 2012

Roadside Surprises, Primary Colors





I know I'm getting behind on the story-telling part of this operation, but, I promise, I will catch up.  Had to take a busy trip to Reno today, but couldn't help but make a few stops.  My most exciting finds were my first Crimson Columbine of the season, my first Tansy-leaf Sun Cup ever, and only my second time finding Porterella.  I know all three are quite common in some places, but I can't be everywhere.  More yarns about my travels tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe,

    Love the Porterella, quite an interesting little flower. Was there some interesting bird species up there, heard it is quite the hotspot.

    Cheers

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, right at the site there were mostly blackbirds (three species), meadowlarks, and magpies, but toward Loyalton where there are some major waterways, there are many kinds of waterfowl. I love watching the white-faced ibises. The local Audubon Society chapter and the Feather River Land Trust frequently lead bird trips out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found Porterella up there in Sierra Valley a few years ago, and I would like to find it again. I love the coloring on it! Nice shot of the Columbine, too. I'm sure you already know this, but Aquil (of Aquilegia) is latin for "an eagle", referring to the shape of the petals which is said to be like that of an eagles talons.

    ReplyDelete