Friday, June 1, 2012

A Magical Place











Here are a few more photos from our recent trip down the Canyon to Caribou Road.  I'm running a little behind on the information side, but wanted you to be able to enjoy the photos meanwhile.  A real surprise for me was the White Milkweed in the top two photos.  I don't know what species it is, but it resembled the Purple Milkweed (bottom photo) in every way except for being white.  I wonder if it could be an albino.  Probably just a species I can't find in my field guides.  I'll be doing a little more research tonight, then posting some field notes about today's and yesterday's photos.

2 comments:

  1. For the milkweed, how about Asclepias eriocarpa, or "Indian Milkweed", which has been reported in your county at Calflora?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, but the leaves were very smooth, and a botanist has told me that Asclepias speciosa is sometimes entirely white, even though the only ones I've seen had a lot of pink in the flowers. I guess the "jury is still out" but I may go back and take a more careful look with my Jepson in hand.

    ReplyDelete