Friday, October 28, 2011

Time for an elevation change






It was hard to get these photos yesterday as most fungi, colorful leaves, and insects in my vicinity have retired for the winter. There are only a few Oak Treehoppers remaining on my oak tree and most of the fungi have disintegrated. For a stimulus for new natural history themes, I have the urge to travel up or down a couple thousand feet. If I drive toward Chico, which is the more tempting option, I'll encounter Spring. From my perspective as a product of New England, Chico doesn't really have a winter. The brown grasses that dominate the scenery at the end of summer are starting to turn green now, and, to me, it's an early spring. Any time between now and the "real" spring, I can explore Bidwell Park and find new plant sprouts and worms and bugs under rocks and logs. The other option is to head eastward toward Reno and possibly swing through the Lakes Basin where a true winter is just around the corner. When I head in that direction during the winter extreme weather gets my attention more than the vegetation. I'm looking forward to photographing and writing about lots of new subjects as the season changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment