Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Front Yard and Treehopper Updates





I leave a few short boards in strategic places around my yard as hideaways for the various slugs and bugs that may find respite there. Checking on them today, I noticed some gatherings of slugs, pill bugs, earwigs, and centipedes that looked suspiciously like awareness of the impending storm. Naturally, I wonder what specific conditions they are responding to. I also wonder how many will survive the storm. It is now raining pretty heavily and it will get colder tonight.
The Oak Treehoppers on each of the two branches I have been monitoring seem to have become more tightly clustered as if aware of the coming storm. Also, although I never counted (I should look at my older photos), there seems to be a bit of attrition. Predation? Or perhaps a few adults have flown the coop. I hope they survive the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment