Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fascinating Bug of the Day


A friend of mine found this Snake Fly larva (top photo) on her windowsill at home. The bottom photo is of an adult Snake Fly photographed by my son Greg last year in the Stanislaus National Forest or thereabouts. I had only seen the adults previously, and the rather long body, especially the head and thorax regions, look somewhat snake-like. But today, when I dumped the larva out of its container onto white paper it took off rather quickly and the whole body undulated much like a snake and I wondered if it was originally named after the larva. Quite interesting at it would spurt along a few inches then stay perfectly still for quite a while and look dead. Upon minor provocation it would then spurt another few inches in its snake-like pattern. I think I'll try to find out more about this bug. Fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment