Friday, October 14, 2011

Bug Activity?




In my previous post I said I was going to take a hike and look for more fungi and see if there was any bug activity. I found some of my favorite bugs still hanging around, but I wouldn't call it "activity." The treehoppers have occupied the same basic positions for a month and a half. Most of the young ones have become larger than their mom and have changed their color pattern. The pair on the right hand side in the second photo are particularly intriguing. They've been standing eyeball to eyeball for days. I wonder what they're thinking. The plant bug in the last photo is still hanging out on Tansy even though the plant has dried up and is shedding its seeds. It, too, stands still for hours if not days. Its metabolism barely distinguishes it from a rock, except when food or enemies arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment