Sunday, August 13, 2017

Some things happen fast

 Three days ago I posted a photo of a blooming Yellow Wood Sorrel, Oxalis stricta, that was blooming in my otherwise completely dead and brown front lawn.  I mentioned that eventually it would go to seed and the elongated seed capsules are fascinating as they burst open when they dry out and shoot their seeds every which way.  Well, these photos were taken yesterday and the change has already happened.  Click on each photo for a closer view and try to spot the seed capsules.  They stand vertically and resemble  tiny seed pods of Okra.
 They were not dry yet, so I pinched one open to reveal the seeds.  This plant is sometimes called
Sour Grass due to the acidic taste of the Oxalic Acid contained in the leaves.  Sour Grass is not a particularly useful name since several other plant species that also grow in and near my lawn go by that name.  They do taste pretty much the same however.

No comments:

Post a Comment