Saturday, August 19, 2017

Revisiting the Gumplant

At this time of year it seems that a high percentage of flowering plants along the road sides have yellow blossoms and are in the Family Asteraceae.  This includes Goldenrod, Sunflowers, Arnica, and Gumplant.  I posted photos of Gumplant in 2012, but I haven't really paid attention to it this summer until today.  I've been driving past a patch of it on Highway 70 near Cromberg for several weeks.  Today I actually planned a stop.  The above photo included a beautiful Caterpillar.  As I look over the dozen or so photos I took during my brief stop, I realize that the magic of technology, both camera and laptop, allows me to do a kind of "magic schoolbus" journey into the details I couldn't see while taking the photos.  The scientific name is Grindelia nana.  Tomorrow morning I'll select my favorites and post them.
Nearby, I made another stop to explore a patch of Sunflowers, and that produced some surprises.  I wondered about the origin of the name, although it's pretty obvious that there's a resemblance of each flower (composed of two kinds of flowers, disc and ray) resembles the Sun.  I also thought about the many times in the Sacramento Valley west of Colusa I have seen fields of cultivated Sunflowers facing the early morning Sun as I drove by, then still facing the Sun in the afternoon on my return trips.  So, I wondered if the name could have originated from the fact they "follow the Sun."  With that in mind, I was startled to see that in this patch near Cromberg, all the blossoms were facing away from the setting Sun.  Hmmm.  Tomorrow I'll post my favorites of the Sunflowers, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment