Sunday, August 13, 2017

Interesting Friday, Part 3 of 3

 I call this an interesting Friday because it was basically a normal work day pleasantly interrupted by three different events that put me in direct contact with Mother Nature.  The previous two posts describe my discovery of a thriving crop of Alder Tongue Fungus and a small flock of juvenile wild turkeys on the FRC campus.  This last post is from a short hike right out of my front yard into Boyle Ravine.  The Tanzy crop along this path is much diminished over previous years when it was a favorite place to view visiting bugs of all kinds. On this particular hike with my wife and her dogs, I spotted a lone Tanzy bush a short distance off the trail.  Since I brought along my camera "just in case," I wandered over for a closer look and discovered a tiny crab spider.  The yellow disks of the Tanzy flowers are approximately 1/4" across, so that was the size of this little spider.  I'm sure I would not have spotted it if I hand't had some sort of subconscious expectation of such.
 On another stretch of this same trail I saw a False Solomon's Seal that had an impressive cluster of berries that somehow the birds have overlooked.  I hope they continue to ignore this plant so I can check on it periodically and hopefully photograph it when these berries turn bright red.

No comments:

Post a Comment