Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Premonition?

I brought the Nikon to work today, not just the iPhone.  Was it a premonition?  Normally, the Oak Treehoppers have not arrived (or, I should say "emerged") at this particular Black Oak until mid-September.  This is mid-August!  I've often mentioned on this blog how the Mountain Lady's Slippers have been blooming earlier and earlier every year since I first encountered them some six years ago.  They are now blooming a full month earlier than they did that first year.  This is the first time I've been so startled by the early arrival of the treehoppers.  We'll see what sort of winter lies ahead. then, in the Spring we'll play "Monday morning quarterback" and assess whether or not the arrival of the treehopper was some sort of premonition regarding weather.  Now I'm excited.  The treehoppers go through a life cycle on the tips of the branches and the really cute red, black and white babies will probably arrive within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment