Friday, November 22, 2013

I Need to Speak to My Editor!

My editor happens to be ME!  This morning, as I was sharing my recent posts with a friend at the coffee shop, I became acutely aware, again, of the difference between creative writing and editing, and of the different results one gets when going too fast vs. working at a reasonable pace.  Bottom line: too many typos.
From a natural history standpoint, an intersting comparison occurs to me.  In the process of cell reproduction that is going on in our bodies constantly, as it is in all living things, many, many mistakes are made.  Mistakes in the sense that the results would not be exact replications of the "mother" cells.  In fact, these mistakes, most of which are called mutations, would more often than not be lethal if not corrected.  Thus, there are multiple self-correcting mechanisms operating alongside the process of replication.  One might say that our cells have editors.
So, with a little bit of embarrassment, but no shame, I will now review my last week or so of blog posts while wearing my editor's hat.  Hopefully, the creative writer in me, such as it is, won't sneak into the picture and create new errors.  I'm not sure how many found errors would prompt me to go back further than a week.  I'll start by reviewing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment