Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Last Stand, or, the Last Hop

 This morning I visited the branch of a California Black Oak that had been hosting a brood of Oak Treehoppers for about a month - that is, a month during which their presence was visible to humans.  I'm sure they're going to continue their annual cycle in and on the oak.  Well, this morning there were none left.  So, I guess these photos from yesterday's visit were the last for this year.  When I approached the branch yesterday afternoon, there was only one adult left.  It tried to avoid the camera by crawling around to the backside of the branch.  With no babies to guard and no mate in sight, and maybe finished with eating for the season, it was much more active than usual.  In fact, I teased it into the open for a few photos it jumped onto my shirt.  I don't think it was aiming for me.  I think it was just jumping out of harm's way, casting its fate to the winds so to speak. 
 It quickly jumped off my shirt into space and undoubtedly landed on the ground nearby.  I have no idea where.  I'm sure I'll never see it again.   I urge you to click on these photos for a closer look.  They are elegant.  If you missed them this year, except for these photos, begin looking at branch tips of the California Black Oak around late August.  Look every day.  They'll appear.  Meanwhile, you'll undoubtedly see other surprises and get a more intimate feeling about the oak tree itself.  If you live somewhere other than the northern Sierra, type Oak Treehopper into a search engine.  You may discover that they live on another species of oak in your region.

No comments:

Post a Comment