Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Year Ago Around This Time

 I've been too busy to tote my camera or notebook around for a couple of days, and am in danger of falling behind in my goal of posting 365 entries in the year 2013.  So, I took a look at photos in my archive from one year ago.  The Sweet Gum, or Liquidamber, leaf shown above fell from the tree on the northeast corner of the courthouse lawn.  That tree is currently putting on a great show, as is the nearby Mountain Ash which is loaded with bright orange berries and some of its leaves are turning red.
 The pods of Showy Milkweed started cracking open and freeing their seeds several weeks ago, but there are plenty more that haven't opened yet.  I often stop by my several favorite milkweed places to check on their progress, always in hopes of capturing the ultimate image of them.
Then there's the tree for which this blog is named, California Black Oak.  Large swaths of the oaks are turning orange and various hues either side of orange.  Some photographers and artists and just plain leaf peepers prefer the landscape views of hillsides covered with orange oaks among the evergreens.  I'm always been partial to the close-up views of individual leaves, such as these from my yard, brought inside to my dining room table "studio."  If I manage to get some new photos tomorrow, rain or shine, they will be about tracking the still-exciting Orange Peel Fungi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment