Friday, October 11, 2013

Shaggy Mane

I wasn't even looking for anything to photograph when driving down the western end of Jackson Street and a small patch of Shaggy Mane fungi jumped out at me.  There were a few young ones to ensure more photo ops for a few weeks, but the mature ones had already begun their self-digesting process and looked like someone spilled hot asphalt or India ink on them.  When this process begins, it can be only a matter of hours before the entire mushroom dissolves into a black pool of gunk on the ground.  The visual impact of this process is strong enough in me that I've never been tempted to eat them when they are young despite my friends' testimony that they are delicious.
Click on this last photo for a closer look.  Visions of mushrooms in Alice in Wonderland come to mind. I think I need to print enlargements of these.  They make a nice pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment