Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Looking for the best leaf

 I haven't paid much attention to photographing fall colors this year.  I walked around downtown for a short while during lunch today, and the colorful maples and Sweetgums around the courthouse caught my eye, so I got out the camera and took a walk.  I've never been as interested in panoramas as I have in close-ups, so I wandered in search of the perfect leaf.  Probably didn't find it, but these few I thought were worthy of posting.  Ironically, there are no oaks. 

 The large Mountain Ash on the East side of the courthouse is changing rapidly.  First, the berries turn bright red, then the leaves.  At the present time, only the leaves on the top half of the tree are turning red.  The green leaves make for a nice contrast against the red berries.
 I found only one red leaf had fallen to the ground, and here it is.  Botanists call this type of leaf pinnately compound, so this is one leaf with 11 leaflets (one leaflet has fallen off).
 When I returned to my car about 15 minutes later, I found leaves covering it.  They were probably pursuing the title of "best leaf" and knew what I was up to.  Either that, or they were hoping I'd rescue them from the inevitable arrival of the leaf blowers.  I figure that will be tomorrow.  Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment