Tuesday, October 1, 2013

On Thriving and Dying

 I'm so attached to the largest of the Orange Peel Fungi in my little shady spot under an outdoor stairway that I'll be really sad if anything happens to it before it completes its annual cycle.  It's now more than twice the diameter of my now famous penny.  Its neighbors are also getting bigger.  See posts of the past two weeks to review their progress.

 Meanwhile, on the other side of the building, the Amanita that was so healthy looking a week ago has finally shrilled to the point of no return - until next year, that is.  I'm sure the underground mycelium will survive through winter unless some crazed landscape architect comes along and totally reconfigures the area.  Still, I have confidence that the fungi will outlast us on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment