Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Oaks Are On Fire


But don't call the fire department. It's just the most amazing display of fall colors I've seen. Two small oak trees in front of Papa's Donuts. Easy to drive by and see only a splash of red. But if you stop and take a closer look, you'll find your self trying to look at every individual leaf and trying to find the most spectacular one. At least that's what happens to me. And that's BEFORE consuming coffee and donuts, so I know I'm OK. Most everywhere else, the oaks are also beautiful, but are turning shades of orange and are most impressive when whole orange tres are viewed from a little distance against the green background of pines and fires. Early in the morning when the sun is low, it's worthwhile to walk all the way around some of these trees and look at both reflected and transmitted sunlight at various angles. My favorite position is to place the leaves between me and the sun so the transmitted light makes the leaves glow. Photographers call this back lighting. Enjoy while you can. The leaves will be falling soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment