Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Fest at Mt. Hough Ranger Station




Here are some of the photos i thought were lost. When I arrived at the ranger station, I was struck by how well-groomed, on the one hand, yet how sterile it was on the other. After spending the summer hiking trails that were not well-groomed and finding many wild creatures and plants, I find the usual standard of grooming yards and public places to be off-putting. Lawns bug me. Huge ecological cost, for what? One could write a thesis (maybe someone already has) on the history and the status implications of lawns. The fact that i don't like them has nothing to do with the trouble of mowing. Really. I love the exercise. Growing lawns is just something I think we should not do. Now, with that out of the way, I took a few photos of vegetation on the way into the event: a couple of maple trees just beginning to exhibit fall colors, a couple of oaks, and some sorrel growing in the lawn. Yeah sorrel!
There were a few interesting exhibits, but very poor turnout, at least during the two hours I was there. I remember its being much better attended last year. Were there other competing events that day? The best part, though, was the music by The Coyotes. Steve Turner, Sherry Kumler, and Johny McDonald play traditional cowboy music of the kind that was very popular in the 30s and beyond complete with close harmonies and yodeling. Brings back pleasant memories of those early TV cowboys like Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. Certainly easier on the ears than today's popular music.

No comments:

Post a Comment