Wednesday, June 24, 2015

No Elderberry Beetles today

 This lone Elderberry bush looks really healthy, so I thought I'd take a closer look this morning on my way to the recycling center and see if I could spot the elusive Elderberry Beetle.  I haven't seen any this year, unless a immature beetle I posted over a week ago happens to be one.  I looked at every flower cluster and saw no insects of any kind.
 Here's a close-up of a flower cluster.
And here's a cluster of green berries.  The ripe berries, due in a month or so, are blue and more or less edible.  There's some risk of kidney trouble, and the berries are quite bitter unless cooked down into a jam or wine.  I checked the bush again around 5:00 this afternoon and found many Longhorn Beetles of another kind, the same kind that invaded my son's bedroom one evening last week.  The Elderberry Beetle is also a type of Longhorn Beetle in the Family Cerambycidae.  I'll probably check this bush every day for a while in hopes of seeing the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment