Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ascending and Descending

 The Orange Peel Fungus I featured here over a week ago has grown, and many smaller ones are emerging, some as small as 1/8" diameter.  While these fungi are at the beginning of their season and will usually get to 2 or 3 inches in diameter, the nearby Amanita has passed its prime and is seriously shriveling.  Will become soil in a few more days.
Funny things happen when I'm observing nature and trying to take photos on the fly.  For some reason this ascension of one species and decline of another reminded me of a quote I saw years ago in a cartoon: "Be nice to people on your way up because you may meet them on your way down."  I got a few more interesting photos this morning, but will post them tomorrow when I'm not feeling so tired and silly.

1 comment: