Monday, September 16, 2013

A No-Camera Day

I knew I would be very busy today, grading papers and taking care of other office work, so I left my camera at home in order to avoid distraction.  But I was distracted anyway.  Five exciting observations during the day, but no camera and no time to sketch.  First, on the way up the paved walkway to the main campus I took a peek at the Oak Treehoppers.  Since last Friday they've shed one last time and are now adults.  They all had longitudinal red and white stripes like the most mature ones along my driveway.  I hope they hang on to the tree until Wednesday so I can show my class.  They got to see them in the juvenile stage last Wednesday.  The change is quite remarkable. 

On my way back down the path I saw a huge slug.  It was nearly as big as the local Banana Slugs, but was densely spotted like a Leopard.  I'll try to ID it from memory, but I certainly would rather have a photo or sketch. 

Next, the fairy ring of mushrooms that escaped the blades of the lawnmower a few days ago was gone.  Maybe it was time, and it just dried up.  I saw no fragments or other evidence of vandalism. 

Then I got an email from my son on another part of campus.  He spotted a beautiful, large Amanita.  I went over for a look.  I hope it's still there tomorrow.  I will definitely bring my camera.  I'm pessimistic because there are lots of people who cannot resist kicking a large mushroom, especially if there's only one.

My favorite sighting of the day was my first Orange Peel Fungus of the season.  I won't divulge the location until Wednesday at which time I'll show my class.  This first one of the season, at least at this location, was only about 5mm in diameter, much smaller than a dime.  I will photograph it tomorrow next to a dime.  They often get to be 9 or 10 cm in diameter.  I'll probably photograph them often.


No comments:

Post a Comment