Friday, April 19, 2013

Sidetracked

 I went on a hike with a friend to photograph tree trunks and branches, but discovered some interesting wildflowers blooming.  The most exciting (above) was my first sighting this season of the Death Camas.
 The California Buttercups have been blooming for a few weeks now, but this one jumped out at me because it was first time I've seen one this spring with an interesting visitor.  Maybe a pollinator, but maybe just a rest stop.
 The Henderson's Shooting Star, which blooms purple, has been around in the hotter, sun-exposed areas for weeks and is already wilting, but in coller, shady areas is peaking.  Among a large patch of these I found one plant that was blooming white.  I'm assuming it was a local mutant rather than a different species.  Click on these for closer views and comparison.
All of these were seen along a power line which looks like a low-flying plane dropped agent orange.  Despite the first impression of a dead zone, many wildflowers, including the persistent Dandelion, are fighting back.  The ants, centipedes, and cockroaches are doing badly either.

No comments:

Post a Comment