Saturday, April 20, 2013

Roadside Decorations

 Spring Whitlow Grass, Draba verna, is growing in dense patches on roadsides and in my yard.  A cute little member of the mustard family, it opens and closes every day and rewards those who are willing to get down on the ground for a close look.  The blossoms are only around 1/4" across.
 Filaree, AKA Storksbill, Erodium sp., has many species in the Sierra.  The next five photos feature Filaree, some punctuated by Dandelions.
This "weed" goes by many different names in Europe and the USA.  It's in the Geranium family.  I typed Filaree into a browser to refresh my knowledge of its relations and the first site I found had it listed under "noxious weeds."  Seems redundant.  At any rate, I haven't discovered any of its noxious properties, unless its mere existence is one.




No comments:

Post a Comment