Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Coleopteran Moment

 These are my first decent beetle photos of the season.  I have seen a few of the fast-moving ground beetles this past week, but they just don't sit still long enough for photos.  I'm not yet prepared to play tricks on them, but that day will come.  Today I found this lone Ladybird Beetle on the Field Clover in my driveway.  I also saw my first Dentate Eleodes, the big black beetle that sticks its butt into the air and sprays cyanide.  This one was trying to crawl down into its hole as soon as I tipped over its log hiding place.  I decided to come back another day when it is bigger and less shy.  Meanwhile, these two photos will suffice to get my beetlemania established for the season.
This is the most common species in my neck of the woods and it's called the Convergent Lady-beetle in my favorite field guide, but I'm sure it's known by other names as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment