Monday, October 1, 2012

Roadside Distractions









Many years ago, a preacher asked the British biologist J. B. S. Haldane, "What inference might one draw about the nature of God from a study of his works?"  He answered, "An inordinate fondness for beetles."  When I drive the lonely stretch between Portola and Reno, making frequent stops to photograph plants and animals, I encounter some of the above items on a regular basis.  I'm thinking, "What inference might visitors from another planet draw about the nature of Homo sapiens from a study of his works?"    No wonder they don't stay.

3 comments:

  1. And the Hitchhikers Guide say that we are mostly harmless. I suppose that is in relation to other worlds. Mostly destructive to our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be it, because we are obviously destructive to our own. I'm working up the urge to rant about herbicides, pesticides, and leaf blowers again. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should bring those up... I am almost done reading Silent Spring... Maybe brush up on it!

    ReplyDelete