Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eye to eye? Not

Enjoying my few remaining daisies.


Finally, a daisy learns to bloom below the blades, not that I plan to mow again before winter. So this
one might pass its cleverness on to next year's crop.

 Dragonflies land with their wings spread, and damselflies land with them over their backs.  Could this be a hybrid?  Or merely a dysfunctional damselfly?
 Radar (below) graces a crack in the sidewalk while watching my photo adventure.
Finished the month of September with a satisfying 30 posts in 30 days.  Some viewers might be getting tired of seeing a certain bug on my front lawn daisies.  Let me explain.  It's not due to a lack of interesting subject matter in my environs.  It's because these little critters exhibit lots of interesting behavior.  Lacking a video camera or skill with such, I keep taking still photos to keep my memory of what I'm seeing fresh.  This morning, this pair of bugs seemed to be communicating, butt to butt.  Many insects mate in this position, so there's nothing inherently startling about this.  However, I am curious about what sort of communication takes place.  It could be primarily olfactory.  I'm sure some entomologists know.  I just like to observe and speculate.  As the late physicist Richard Feynman put it, for "the pleasure of finding things out."  As the variety of critters wandering about decreases sharply with the onset of colder weather, I'll be delving deeper into the natural history of my favorite plants and animals seen over the past summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment