Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Still Here

 Spotted around noon today in Boyle Ravine, this plume moth on Tansy brought back memories of one of my first photos of this elegant little moth taken two months ago on July 6th. Although the moth was the intended subject of this photo, upon enlargement on my monitor I found myself equally fascinated by the spiral arrangement of flowers of the Tansy.
July 6th was a good day for bug photography.  I found a good variety of bugs on a good variety of plants, including an exciting shot of a Goldenrod Crab Spider dining on a Bumblebee.  I invite you to scroll back to July 6th or find "A Good Day for Bugs" in the July menu to the left.  Click on any photo for a close-up. 

Not many species of wildflowers are still blooming this late in the summer, so a greater and greater variety of nectar feeders are found on Tansy.  Besides the Plume Moth in the top photo, today I found grasshoppers, ambush bugs and assassin bugs on the Tansy along the west end of Jackson Street on Quincy.  Go have a look.  They won't be around much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment