Thursday, September 20, 2012

Good-bye Until Next Year

This photo, taken this morning, will be my last visit to the Oak Treehoppers in my driveway until next year.  Each day I have found one or more clusters gone.  This is the last one, so i assume most of them have done what they do at this time of year or and/or have been eaten.  I hope they got to lay enough eggs that they'll be back next August or September.  These are big enough (around 1/3 inch) that I suspect they'll moult one last time and maybe lay some eggs.
I'm still finding pockets of intense insect activity here and there.  The best today, when I didn't have my camera, was on a small patch of Rabbitbrush by the front steps of the FRC library.  The Skippers were swarming and oblivious to my presence.  There were a few Thread-waisted Wasps and some Honeybees.  The flowers were still looking fresh.  I expect a few more days of Photo Ops here.

No comments:

Post a Comment